September 2016

Ten Mile River Watershed Council's Board/Member Meeting.

 
September 7, 2016
14 Wilton Avenue, Pawtucket RI 02861
Members in attendance were: Ben Cote, Bob Rolke, Keith Gonsalves, Alissa Cote, Cindy Rose, Linda Webber, Joyce Chamberlain, Alex Kemp, Bill Luther, Deb Gonsalves, Susie DeJesus, Dan Goulet, Vickie Rolke, Jen Russo, Sandi Barber.
Ben called the meeting to order at 6:31 PM.
Keith made a motion to approve the May minutes, it was 2nd by Bob.
Cindy gave a business report. Linda made a motion to approve, it was 2nd by Alissa.
Ben reviewed the following past events: National Trails Day with the East Providence Conservation Commission and Providence County Hiking Club, the June Paddle, Summer Solstice Hike, After Work Paddles, and the Members Hike at Oak Knoll. Ben reported that the Roger Williams Paddle was rained out.
Keith reported that the elctro fishing was a success. We surveyed fish at Hunts Mills and Larson Woods. Keith stated that there was an article that appeared in the Sun Chronicle about the Larson Woods event.
Ben reported that five fishing line disposal stations were installed throughout the lower watershed thanks to two boyscouts from troop 1 in Seekonk. They are located at Hunts Mills, Turner Dam, on bothe sides of Newman Crossing, and at the Pawtucket Country Club Dam.
Ben reported that the Council has been maintaining the grass at the shed. Keith stated that he primed the doors and that they will be painted before the year is over. Alex reported that he has been making benches at the shed and placing them at different places along the Hunts Mills Trail. Susie reported that she has been watering the trees that were planted there at the Trails Day Event.
Ben reported that the Council will be going before the Attleboro Conservation Commission on September 21, at 7:00 PM to discuss the Bungay River Wild and Scenic plan. Bill and Dan volunteered to go along and offer support.
Joyce stated that she updated the flyers for the Greenway Stewards and that a large couch that was along the bike path had been removed.
Alex reported that the TMRWC would be taking part in the Fall Festival in Slater Park. The booth was donated through the Pawtucket Parks Department. Joyce stated that she made flyers to hand out. Alex and Susie agreed to man the booth on Saturday, Ben and Joyce volunteered for Sunday.
Ben reported that there would be two Harvest Moon Walks in anticipation of a big crowd. In addition to being part of Rhode Island Land Trust Days, this year it will also be part of the Blackstone Valley GO! program. The dates will be September 16th and 19th both at 7:00 PM. The Council agreed to supply apple cider again at both events.
Ben reported that the Members Picnic will be October 2nd at Hunts Mills.  Ben suggested the usual potluck with a $10.00 gift exchange and finishing with a walk around the trail. The Council agreed.
Bob reported that we will return to continue our cleanup of the Bungay River Conservation Area on October 15 at 9:00 AM.
The following members were elected to serve on the TMRWC Board of Directors from January 1, 2017-December 31, 2017 by unanimous vote:
President- Ben Cote
Vice President- Bob Rolke
Past President- Keith Gonsalves
Treasurer- Cindy Rose
Secretary- Alissa Cote
Alex Kemp
Susie DeJesus
Deb Gonsalves
Joyce Chamberlain (Stewardship Coordinator)
Linda made a motion to adjourn at 7:28 PM, it was 2nd by Bob.
The next meeting will be January 25, 2017 at 14 Wilton Ave, Pawtucket RI 02861.

Repectfully Submitted,

Alissa Cote
Secretary
Ten Mile River Watershed Council




May 2016

Minutes of The Ten Mile River Watershed Council Board of Directors Meeting held on May 25, 2016 at 14 Wilton Avenue, Pawtucket RI 02861.
Members in Attendance were: Ben Cote, Bob Rolke, Keith Gonsalves, Alissa Cote, Cindy Rose, Linda Webber, Alex Kemp, Joyce Chamberlain, Bill Luther, Susie DeJesus, Vicotria Richards, Sandi Barber, Dan Goulet, Jen Russo, Joe Aglione.
Ben called the meeting to order at 6:34 PM.
Cindy made a motion to approve the March minutes, it was 2nd by Linda.
Cindy gave a business report. She reported that a grant was recieved from the Narragansett Bay Commission in the amount of $400 for National Trails Day. Cindy also reported that the Council recieved nineteen new memberships. Joyce made a motion to approve, it was 2nd by Bob.
Ben reported on the following past events: April 10th Fish Count and Cleanup at Hunts Mills, April 16th Cleanup at Kim Rock, May 1st Bungay River Paddle,  May 7th Cleanup and trail work at Doreen Tomlinson Park, and the May 21st City of Attleboro Cleanup. Ben reported that the Council cleaned along the Bungay River this year and not in the center of Attleboro.
Keith reported on fish counting on the lower river. He stated that fish began arriving on March 19th and that the counting continued until May 22nd.
Ben reported that the lease for the Shed at Hunts Mills had expired and suggested that the Council try to re-sign for a longer lease. The Council agreed. Ben stated that all work at the shed should resume once an agreement was reached. Alex suggested getting graffiti resistant paint. The Council agreed.
Ben reported that he met with the Attleboro Conservation Agent and members of the Attleboro Land Trust about the Bungay River Wild and Scenic Designation and that both were supportive of the idea. Ben also stated that the Council recieved press coverage about the plan in two seperate articles published by the Sun Chronicle.
Joyce reported that people have been camping on the Greenway. She suggested holding a Greenway challenge in the future sponsored by the Council. The Council agreed to discuss it in the future. Joyce suggested that more fliers should be posted on the Greenway to recruit more stewards. The Council agreed.
Ben stated that the Blackstone Heritage Corridor had contacted him about becoming a VIP organization and that he invited them to speak about it at the meeting. Since nobody came, he suggested holding off on joining until the Council could learn more about it. The Council agreed.
Ben reported that National Trails Day will be on June 4th at 9:00 AM. The Council will again be working with the East Providence Conservation Commission and the Providence County Hiking Club. Ben stated that this year, work will be conducted in the Shed area and that he will use the grant money to buy native shrubs from Little Tree Nusery in Seekonk again. The event should only take a few hours.
Keith reported that the June Paddle will be on June 12th at 10:00 AM begining from the Shed. We will paddle to Omega Pond and back. Bill suggested reaching out to friends at RICKA to borrow some boats. The Council agreed. The cost will be $5.00 for non-members. Keith suggested finishing the paddle with a small cookout at the Shed. The Council agreed.
Ben reported that the Summer Solstice Hike will be June 23rd at 7:00 PM. This year, it will be at the Seekonk side of the Turner Loop Trail due to declining attendance at Seekonk Meadows.
Keith reported that the Roger Williams Paddle will be July 9th. We will meet at Freedom Green at 9:00 AM for a car shuttle and be on the water by 10:00. Ben stated that he will reach out to First Student for use of a bus again this year. The paddle will finish with the usual talk and picnic at the Roger Williams Memorial in Providence. Keith requested a $150 budget for the event. The Council agreed. The cost will be $10.00 for non-members.
Keith suggested that the Council get a lawn mower for the Shed. Ben stated that he might be able to get one for free and will look into it.
Joe stated that he has seen more train use on the tracks by the Greenway.
Ben stated that the next meeting will be  the annual meeting and that we will be electing the 2017 Board of Directors.
Bill suggested doing a few after work paddles through the summer on different parts of the River and that he will post them to the Facebook page.
Linda made a motion to adjourn at 8:07 PM, it was 2nd by Joyce.
The next meeting will be September 7, 2016 at 14 Wilton Avenue, Pawtucket RI 02861.

Respectfully Submitted,
Alissa Cote
Secretary
Ten Mile River Watershed Council
March 23, 2016

March 2016

Minutes of the TMRWC Board of Directors Meeting held on March 23, 2016 at 14 Wilton Avenue, Pawtucket RI 02861



Members in Attendance were: Ben Cote, Bob Rolke, Bill Luther, Alissa Cote, Keith Gonsalves, Joyce Chamberlain, Alex Kemp.


Guests in Attendance were: Andrew Silvia (City of Pawtucket), Lori Lucas (RICKA).


Ben called the meeting to order at 6:30 PM and welcomed guests in attendance.


Keith made a motion to approve the January minutes, it was 2nd by Joyce.


In Cindy’s absence, Ben gave a business report. Bob made a motion to approve, it was 2nd by Alissa.


Andrew Silvia from the City of Pawtucket gave a talk about stormwater in Slater Park, creating buffers around the Slater Park Duck Pond, and new parking areas planned for Doreen Tomlinson Field. The Council expressed concern that the parking area might impact wetlands. Ben asked that the Council be kept up to date on these projects, Andrew agreed. The Council thanked him for his time.


Ben reviewed the following past events: Salt Water Fishing Show, Land and Water Summit, and the 10 Mile Greenway Hike with the Providence County Hiking Club. Keith reported that we spent $80.00 for the Salt Water Fishing Show for a new banner and candy.


On behalf of Cindy, Ben reported that 30 membership forms were sent out, with 14 being received back. Ben handed out membership forms to any members willing to recruit. Ben passed around a copy of a sample letter to be sent out to businesses. As some changes and discussion, Ben reported that he will send it out to 20 businesses in the Watershed by the end of the week. The Council agreed.

Keith reported on the possible TMRWC Duck Race. Ideas discussed were possible first, second, and third place prizes. The Council agreed to talk more about this in the future.


Ben reported that the TMRWC are now members of the Massachusetts Rivers Alliance.


Joyce reported on the Greenway Stewards. She stated that she would like to make a flyer about the stewards, the Council agreed to discuss it further. Keith stated that he will be a steward at Hunts Mills, and Ben reported that Don Doucette will be a steward at the Gamino Pond parking area. Ben suggested looking into changing the name from Greenway to River Stewards since the project is branching out. The Council agreed.


Ben reported that there will be a project happening in the Central Pond area. A group is looking for items under ground from the time of a firing range. It is possible that some trees will have to be cut to conduct the work. The Council will be notified of all work, as well as the East Providence Conservation Commission.


Ben reported that the final vernal pool survey of 2016 will be on March 26, at 8:00 AM at Kim Rock.


Keith reported that there will be a fish counting event at Hunts Mills on April 10, at 10:00. Bob suggested holding a small cleanup on the same day. The Council agreed.


Bob reported that the annual Central Pond Cleanup will be April 16, at 9:00 AM. It will be on water and on land. Lori Lucas stated that some members of her group will be attending. Joyce stated that there will be a boy scout troop attending. The Council agreed to offer some type of refreshments for volunteers, TBD by the Hospitality committee before the date.


Bill stated that the Bungay River paddle will be on May 1, at the Holden Street Boat Launch in Attleboro. This will be a TMRWC/RICKA event to help raise awareness for the Wild and Scenic Cause. Bill suggested telling Attleboro officials and the Sun Chronicle. The Council agreed.


Ben reported that the Attleboro Cleanup will be May 21. The Council agreed to take part, possibly working in the Bungay River Conservation Area. Ben stated that he will be in contact with the Conservation Agent. Bill suggested bringing up the Bungay Paddle at that meeting.


Ben reported that the Council received a $400 grant for trails day and that $50 is going to the Stewards. The Council agreed to talk more at the May Meeting.


Ben suggested changing the location of the Summer Solstice Hike to the Turner Boardwalk on the Seekonk/East Providence border since attendance is going down at Seekonk Meadows. Ben stated that the hike was very successful there for several years, but thinks it might be time for a change. The Council agreed to discuss it at the May meeting.


Bob made a motion to adjourn at 8:27 PM, it was 2nd by Keith. Ben shut off the lights and it was dark.


The next meeting will be May 25, at 6:30 PM at 14 Wilton Avenue, Pawtucket RI 02861.



Respectfully Submitted,



Alissa Cote

Secretary

Ten Mile River Watershed Council



January 2016

Minutes for the Ten Mile River Watershed Council’s Board of Directors
Meeting held on January 27, 2016 at 14 Wilton Avenue, Pawtucket
Rhode Island.
Members in attendance were: Ben Cote, Bob Rolke, Alissa Cote, Cindy Rose, Keith Gonsalves, Linda Webber, Bill Luther, Alex Kemp, Joyce Chamberlain, Deb Gonsalves, Jason Skinner.
Guests in attendance were: Ernie Germani (EPCC/PCHC).
Ben called the meeting to order at 6:32 PM.
Joyce made a motion to approve the September Minutes, it was 2
nd by Deb.
Cindy gave a business report. She reported that at the close of 2015, the Council had 33 paying memberships with 7 new members. Linda made a motion to approve, it was 2nd
by Alissa.
Ben reviewed the following past events: Tire Cleanup on September 12th, Harvest Moon Walk on September 27th, Members Picnic on October 4th,
and a fish survey on October 17th
at Larson Woodland in Attleboro. Ben
stated that the Harvest Moon Walk brought 104 people out, and
suggested that the East Providence Conservation Commission join next year to help manage it better. The Council agreed.
Ben reported that the application for State designation from the Rhode Island Rivers Council was approved, and that the TMRWC now has legal standing in Rhode Island.
Ben reported that he had been in contact with the East Providence Historical Society about a grant they received to fix up some of the old buildings on the Hunts Mills Property, including the old ticket booth and Caleb Williams Cottage. Ben suggested that the Council assist the Historical Society as much as possible, while making sure that we still
fulfill our mission on the River. The Council agreed.
Joyce reported that she is looking for more help with the Greenway Stewardship project. She suggested that she write a letter to local Boy Scouts about adopting a section of Greenway. The Council agreed.

Joyce will have the letter ready for the March meeting. Cindy suggested supplying business cards to Joyce and the rest of the stewards. The Council agreed to have those printed by March.

Ben suggested that the Council push for membership to the
Massachusetts Rivers Alliance. Combined with designation from the Rhode Island Rivers Council, this would give the Council a legal voice along the entire Watershed. Ben reported that he had been in contact with the Executive Director of the MRA, and that we could join for $25.00. The Council agreed.
Cindy reported that she would be ready to send out membership forms by the March meeting. Ben suggested pushing more for members. Some ideas discussed were to reach out to former members about re-joining,
post membership flyers in local businesses (coffee shops, libraries etc),
post flyers in public places (parks, bike paths, wildlife sanctuaries).
Cindy stated that she will print out membership forms for the March meeting.
Keith reported that he will be reaching out to the owner of Dodgeville Mill about a grant he received to fix his dam and create a fish ladder since it would be a good step in continuing fish passage on the River.
Ben suggested pushing for fish passage as far as Bungay River and exploring the possibility of getting a federal Wild and Scenic
Designation for that tributary. Bill suggested partnering with the Rhode Island Canoe and Kayak Association for a paddle on the Bungay in the Spring to raise awareness to the potential. The Council agreed. More details will be worked out in March.
Keith reported that the Saltwater Fishing Show will be held February 26th, 27, 28th
at the RI Convention Center. The TMRWC will try to
recruit fish counters and up to $200 was requested as a budget. The Council agreed.
Ben reported that the Land and Water Summit is March 19th
at URI. It is and all day event with a $50.00 charge. Ben suggested that the Council send three members. The Council agreed. Ben, Keith, and Bob volunteered.

Ernie Germani reported that the Providence County Hiking Club will be holding a 10 mile hike along the lower River to explore the possibility of a marked hiking trail from Doreen Tomlinson in Pawtucket to the Seekonk Library. The hike will begin at 8:00 AM. The Council agreed to take part in any future trail development and a few members agreed to take part in the hike.

Ben reported that there will be a big event happening at Hunts Mills on April 10th
and suggested that the Council do a fish counting training
session that day. The Council agreed.
Bob reported that there will be a Central Pond Cleanup on April 16th
There will be a land and water crew to pull trash from the Pond. More details will be worked out in March.
Ernie Germani reported that the East Providence Conservation
Commission will be hosting a cleanup at Boyden Heights in East
Providence. Although not in the Watershed, members of the TMRWC are welcome to attend.
Ben reported that National Trails Day will be June 4th
and that we should partner with the EPCC and the PCHC again this year for trail improvements at Hunts Mills. Ben also stated that we should look into painting our building at this event. More details will be worked out. Because of conflicts, Ben suggested holding all meetings on Wednesday night. The Council agreed. Meetings will be the 4th Wednesday of
January, March, and May and the first Wednesday of January.
Bill made a motion to adjourn at 8:20 PM, it was 2nd
by Linda. The next meeting will be March 23rd

at 14 Wilton Avenue, Pawtucket RI.
Respectfully Submitted,
Alissa Cote
Secretary
Ten Mile River Watershed Council